CEDRIC T. CHOU
Mr. Chou has a distinguished career as an attorney and corporate adviser. His experience and expertise allow him to bring clients a greater understanding of Pacific Rim legal, business, government affairs and cultural issues. As such, he had helped establish the Hong Kong office of a major Wall Street law firm, and successfully assisted in developing its Greater China strategy. He has assisted Fortune 500 companies investing in China, and has assisted Taiwanese and Chinese companies investing in the US. During the course of his career, Mr. Chou has assisted clients in transactions in the aggregate of more than US$2.5 billion. Mr. Chou was a partner at one of the largest leading US law firms, and later a Los Angeles practice head at another major international law firm.
Mr. Chou currently serves as the Chairman of the Advisory Council of the UCLA Center for Chinese Studies. He had taught as visiting professor at two of the most prestigious schools in China, the Guanghua School of Management at Peking University and the School of Law at Fudan University. He is a well-known columnist and has published critically-acclaimed books on legal history and philosophy.
Awards and Recognitions
- California State Assembly, Certificate of Recognition, in honor of the leadership and inspiration provided towards promoting new technology in business and community partnerships, February 7, 2003.
- California State Board of Equalization, Resolution, in honor for service and commitment to the Asian American community, February 7, 2003.
- Author, “CFIUS: A Unique Challenge for Chinese Energy Investors,” Overview of US Wind Energy Industry and Market, Chinese Wind Energy Association (Beijing: Central Party Literature Press, 2011).
- Author, “An Ideal State of Law: A Virtual Dialogue between Socrates and Mencius” Taipei: Commonwealth, 1998; Beijing: Commercial Press, 1999 (critically acclaimed and cited in law textbooks and used for law and other courses, also widely acknowledged in all three parts of Greater China).
- Speaker, “Lessons We Learn from Sany/Ralls CFIUS Experience,” US Forum: Doing Wind Business in North America, China Wind 2012.
- Moderator, US – China Wind Summit 2011: Building Strategic Cooperation.
- Co-Presenter, US ‑ China Wind Summit 2010: Building Strategic Cooperation.
- Adviser, Leonhardt Ventures & CalxStars Accelerator, 2016-present
- Chairman, UCLA Center for Chinese Studies, Advisory Council, 2017
- Ambassador and Mentor, UCLA School of Law, 2015-present
- Music Heritage Global, 2013-present
- Board Advisor, Music Festival Perugia, Italy, 2012-14
- Board Member, Los Angeles Philanthropic Committee for the Arts, 2010
- Milestone Contributor of the Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles
- Advisory Board Member, Cal State Northridge, Center for China Finance and Business Research, 2002-2008
- Executive Board Director, Southern California Monte Jade Science & Technology Association, 2003-2004
- Conductor, Chamber Orchestra of Tzu-Chi Buddhist Philanthropy Foundation, 2004
- Host on behalf of Asia Society, welcoming luncheon in honor of Consul General Zhong Jianhua of China, November 2002
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Mandarin Chinese